For any use of my photos, please contact me at monika.wieland (at) gmail (dot) com

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Earth Hour This Saturday



I want to encourage all of you to participate in Earth Hour, this Saturday from 8:30-9:30 PM. It is a worldwide event to demonstrate to world leaders that citizens demand they take action. Here is a brief explanation from their website:

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.

The event started in 2007 when 2.2 million homes switched off their lights in Australia. In 2008 it became a global event with 50 million participants. This year, it has reached a new level, with the goal of a billion participants. The Pyramids of Giza, the Acropolis in Athens, and the Empire State Building will switch their lights off. More than 1000 towns and cities have signed up. While doing my daily perusal of NHL news today I even learned that one hockey team rescheduled their weekend match-up so the arena could turn off the lights at the appointed time.

Just click the above animation to join and sign up!

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Great idea,
I wonder If we could have a no car hour ;-)

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Only one 9 watt energy saver on at Base Camp tonight. Oven is on cooking my tea though and a spark from the woodfire has just tried to set my carpet alight. All lights off at work tonight got called in unexpectedly and switched em all off for Earth Hour..I don't wanna fry!!!! No do I wanna fry the other super critters that share the earth with us.

Monika said...

Warren - sounds like a great idea to me!

Great stuff Dave!